Stress. A huge, scary, vague word. It can seem so big and unmanageable, it invokes the very thing it describes.
So let’s break it down.
What Stress Is And What It Does To The Body
Day by day, you’re faced with the stresses of the modern world, large and small: your boss lays into you in front of your co-workers; you feel neglected by your spouse; your start-up fails; a loved one gets sick; bills accumulate faster than money….
You get the idea.
With each event, your body responds effortlessly, involuntarily, exactly as it was designed to do. Exactly, in fact, as the body did millions of years ago when your great-great-great-(times a billion) grandparent was chased by a saber-toothed tiger. The heart rate goes up, the muscles tense, and the body prepares itself for flight (or fight, if your ancestor was a badass).
Here’s the thing: what goes up, must come down. And if that body doesn’t come down from its adrenaline high, allowing the brain to release any physical clenching it has ordered up – if we shut down or cut off the natural letting-go process – that tension and stress stays with us, and starts causing problems:
- Chronic back, hip, neck etc. pain
- Emotional outbursts or reactions to events that don’t seem like a big deal to other people.
- Constant, uncontrollable anger. Picking fights a lot. Being prone to disagree with people and needing to fight about it.
- Insomnia. Sleep disturbances. Nightmares. Waking up stressed out.
- Panic attacks, heart palpitations.
Less Obvious Symptoms of Stress:
- Exhaustion. Fatigue
- Not being able to sit still.
- Susceptibility to illnesses like colds, the flu etc…
- Feeling like you don’t want to be around other people-most of the time
- Feeling overwhelmed. Sometimes by seemingly small things.
- Feeling numb. Not feeling joyful when something good happens. Or sad when something sad happens. Not being able to laugh easily.
- Problems with debt and money
- Not being able to plan for the future
TRE – Tension Release Exercises are one powerful antidote to stress:
Our bodies are designed beautifully. We have built in resources that come online to protect us when we are dealing with stress and dangerous events. We also have an innate ability–that we can harness via TRE, that helps us heal emotionally and physically from these events. TRE were discovered and developed by Dr. David Berceli. TRE taps into our body’s innate ability to recover from traumatic and stressful events.
HOW NEUROGENIC TREMORS WORK WITH THE BODY
The power of this tremoring, has been understood, harnessed and taught by Dr. David Berceli. This innate ability of our body can be accessed in many ways, most people are brought into the shaking via the original seven exercises taught by most certified TRE providers with a strong focus on stressing the muscles of the legs and the psoas. Though my approach provides release and relaxed engagement of the psoas, the focus is on the nurturing of the spine, torso and our breathing/core muscles. Fascia is released in a different way with the alignment work and students don’t opt to shake after every AlignUp session because they are already deeply relaxed and released.
The work with neurogenic tremors is a process. Depending on your experience, it might be best to do it with other humans around in a class. Either way, It’s helpful to take more than one class or private lesson to explore how it can relieve trauma, long-term stress and the experience of being a sensitive person in a highly stressed world. Most importantly, it’s important to experience the unique freeing of the neurogenic tremors slowly, and over time.
If you’re interested in taking a class, I recommend you start slow and take my one hour class to see how well prepared your nervous system is for deep relaxation.